Sunday, July 29, 2007

Man overboard!

Since LosRicos has stepped away from his blog I fear he won't have the opportunity to post this most excellent update so I figured I'd do him the honor.

Pretty much every year the wife and I go canoeing on the grand river it's one of those summer outings we always seem to enjoy. Last year we didn't get to go out due to all the getting married madness so we were happy to get back to the river again. The grand river definitely isn't white water rafting with no noticeable current and an average depth of about 2 feet it's a pretty beginner friendly river. All the same other than the wife and I no one else we went with (3 couples) had much experience canoeing.

After helping the other couples launch the canoes the wife and I quickly caught up with the pack. Approximately 100' from the starting point we hit our first shallow part. Usually the best way to deal with those is to paddle hard and drive straight forward (insert sexual innuendo here.) Well TheRich and Sunflower, being first timers, hadn't experienced cresting the shallows and were caught unawares when they hit the gravel. Unfortunately the weight differential between the two didn't provide the most stability and after an initial wobble they pitched over and ended up in the drink.

It was funny because Rich even mentioned before they set out that they were going to capsize. It's actually the first time I've ever seen it. Either way since it was only about 2-3 feet deep there was no immediate danger. After that (other than one more close call) TheRich and Sunflower kept the pace and avoided any more underwater exploration. The day was fun for sure, we'll have to do it again next year.

By the way if you ever want to know what kind of houses the richest people in KW have just canoe down the grand and look to your left... un-freaking-believable

2 comments:

LosRicos said...

Thanks for being so kind as to mention my sinking. No. Really. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Hello,
I am fascinated by your aspirational blog and would like be a part of it. Here is my proposal, if you think it is alright, than i will start as per your suggestion.

I work as a Fashion and Lifestyle Blogger.I have recently designed a website that is now helping Latest Fashion and Lifestyle trends.
Please have a look at some of my recently published guest posts –


http://www.sargamchoudhary.com/
http://www.sargamchoudhary.com/category/lifestyle
http://www.sargamchoudhary.com/category/travel


I’d love to share my insights with the readers of your blog in a guest post titled “Fashion and LifeStyle". The word count of the post will be no less than 500.
Awaiting your positive response.


Regards,
Sargam Choudhary