Friday, August 24, 2007

One last good spin around the sun

When I was turning 19 people told me to enjoy it because at 25 your metabolism will start to slow down, and you won’t have the energy you once had. For me that turned out to be complete garbage, when I was 25 I’d gotten down to a fighting weight of 155 Lbs and was in much better shape than I’d ever been. I was rollerblading 4 times a week, and overall I felt young. Now that I’m 29 I can’t help but feel a sense of dread at this last year in my twenties. It’s like watching the first leaf fall from a tree in September knowing exactly what’s to come. I’ve rollerbladed this summer about as many times as I’ve golfed. Summer evenings spent tearing up the rails and ledges of Waterloo have become evenings of working on my degree and renovating our house. I’m a little softer in the mid section, a little mellower in the temper and all around just older.

It’s interesting that they say you’re only as old as you feel. It gives you the belief that by trying to be energetic and healthy you’ll somehow avoid getting older. Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way. You can throw on the baggy jeans, play the music too loud and go out on the weekends and drink your face off but that little voice in the back of your head when you were 19 is now the booming loudspeaker of adulthood.
I’ve often felt immature for my age but I think deep down I’ve always put on the front of immaturity with the knowledge that very soon I’d have to put away my toys and be a big boy. Where did the time go? I wanted to go rollerblading this weekend but looks like renovation-mania will continue.

…besides I get sore knees and my back just kills me, someone get me my walker

1 comment:

Richard said...

Try being surround by tens of thousands of college kids for an entire weekend (ie Fan Expo)