Monday, March 19, 2007

Starting uphill, in the snow, on a monday morning...

Well I had to back gingerly out of my driveway today 'cause the bitch across the street parked right across from my house. Gingerly is probably a bit of a misnomer... I think it would be better described as tire-squealing-clutch-popping-spasms. You see if you've never driven a standard before you don't really appreciate how fucking complicated it is to get moving on a hill. Theoretically it's not so bad, you just need to let out the clutch 'til the point it starts to grip and then give it a little gas. Easy right? WRONG! See while you're letting out that clutch like a pro you also gotta let go of the brake. The brake is the thing that's keeping your car from rolling backwards down a hill into an innocent bystander or idiot tailgater. However the brake keeps the car from accelerating... and if the car doesn't accelerate it stalls. Then it rolls back down the hill into an innocent bystander or idiot tailgater. Complicated? Nah not really. So lets bump up the challenge factor!

+ Sudden inclimate weather coating your street in an icy-slick coating
+ V6 Engine and a clutch that says "Fuck you I'm ripping off, I'll see you at home"

So now when I ease out on the clutch the front wheel starts spinning like a motherfucker and skidding all over the place. The wheels never really "caught" in first but I figured I could smooth it out in 2nd. Yaaaaaaaaaaa... no! The shift to second continued poorly. The torque at the wheels just made it skid out like crazy. Third, my car actually started to drift towards the curb and only through some Dakar Rallyesque steering did I advert disaster. Once I got to the main street it was a piece of cake... but I'm not looking forward to next winter.

I wonder if I can find a tank-tread mod for a Tiburon on EBay?

No comments: